Sunday, April 28, 2013

Bakemono High (Book One) by Elbert Or


Meet Max - a vampire who always gets bullied by classmates. Amy, a mummy who's a certified worry-wart. Chuck, a werewolf wearing what looks to me like a Charlie Brown get-up - and he's madly in love with Salem, a cute gothic witch.

Welcome to the world of Bakemono High!

Leaping straight from the pages of K-Zone magazine into its own compilation, Elbert Or's Bakemono High (Book One) is definitely a fun read!

I have nothing but praises for this wonderful all-ages treat. I enjoyed reading it from the first page to the last. Plus I have to admit that I love the cover so much. Believe it or not, merely staring at it never fails to make me smile! Yes, it has that kind of effect. Well at least to me hehe.. In fact, I swear I can hear a cheery song playing inside my head at times. Something that sounds a little like the Teen Titans theme!

Elbert’s stories are super fun. His illustrations are adorable and dynamic plus the expressions are well-pronounced. That's something I am hoping to develop in my own art. Looking and studying Elbert's work, I know I have a long way to go haha!

I felt kind lost though while reading the musical pages (or Bakemono High School Musical, as Elbert puts it). Sure, Elbert writes some wonderful lyrics but I am left to wonder how the actual melody goes. I wish there was a play button or something to help me appreciate these four pages better.

Also, I can’t help but wonder why the series isn't called Bakemono Elementary or Bakemono Nursery since the characters (and the topics) exactly aren't set on a high school setting. Well, I suppose Bakemono High just sounds catchier!

All in all, I’d say I am totally satisfied with this volume. This is definitely the kind of comic I will share with my son Yuri once he’s old enough to read. Having said that, the wait for the second book officially starts NOW!


- Mark Rosario


4 comments:

  1. I actually have an issue of K-Zone where they still have Bakemono High, and they're wonderful! Even my classmates liked the series of comic strips that came in K-Zone. They are gone for a long time now and the idea of making a book one of the series is great! I mean, people who have read K-Zone and know that Bakemono High makes it's comeback will be like shocked and surprised at the same time. Great read for the kids and KZ-ers alike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bakemono High will soon be available in Comic Oddysey branches! Lets all wait for it and spread the word. This is truly a book worth-sharing! :)

      Delete
    2. which edition po ng K-Zone yung may Bakemono High?

      Delete
    3. BH originally appeared in the K-Zone Philippines edition. Around 2006 if I'm not mistaken!

      Delete